The Scholarship Report
Student Services subscribes to an online resource, “The Scholarship Report,” that contains a wealth of information regarding scholarships, awards, and bursaries. A hard copy is available for perusal in the Scholarship Binder in Student Services.
Any new Scholarship/Bursary/Awards information received throughout the year will be handled as follows:
- Information will be conveyed during morning announcements.
- The website will be updated.
- Photocopies of scholarship information received via Canada Post will be placed in the scholarship binder.
- Click here for information on numerous selected scholarships and awards. These scholarships have been sorted based on criteria for ease of research
Key websites to access for information:
- ScholarshipsCanada.com. Fill in your profile and be matched to scholarships in their database
- OSAP – estimate how much money you will be eligible for through OSAP
- Use Aeroplan or TD Points from the Travel Rewards Program to help pay for your education through HigherEdPoints
- Scholarship-grants.org – various listings of college, university and institutional scholarships sorted into various groupings such as:
top ranking universities, categories i.e. high school seniors, women, etc.), by deadline, by province
- findmyscholarships.com – created by students for students. Their goal is to help all Canadian Students find external scholarships in Canada.
- dosomething.org – The “dosomething” website listed has a particular emphasis on social justice and related causes, as opposed to academics.
- http://www.canlearn.ca/– Government of Canada Student Financial Assistance homepage
- Scholartree.ca – 100% free to students, where scholarships are updated everyday
- http://www.ontariouniversitiesinfo.ca/ – links to individual university scholarships/awards/bursaries available for Ontario
- yconic.com – links and information on numerous scholarships (this is the site for studentawards.com)
- http://www.higheredpoints.com/how-it-works/ – convert aeroplan and TD Travel Rewards Program points to tuition
- fundyourfuture.ca – Various contests give students the opportunity to win money
- www.myblueprint.ca – Various scholarships and contests
- https://www.electronicinfo.ca/assets/files/documents/scholarships.pdf – 88 pages of scholarships awarded by each university
2019/2020 Scholarship, Bursary, Award information
If you are applying for any scholarships/bursaries listed below, please inform Mrs. Pietrobon-Flynn. If you would like information on last years scholarships, please click the following (LINK)
Scholarship: Loran Scholars Foundation
- Date Received: September 6, 2019
- Deadline: October 17, 2019
- Website: https://loranscholar.ca/
- Based on character, service, and leadership.
- Renewable for up to four years, with a total value of $100,000. Each Loran Award includes:
- An annual stipend of $10,000
- A matching tuition waiver from one of 25 partner universities
- Personal mentorship from a Canadian leader
- Access to our network and up to $10,000 in funding for summer internships in three different sectors
- An orientation expedition through Algonquin Park
- Annual retreats and scholar gatherings
Nomination packages are available in Student Services and are due to Mrs. Pietrobon-Flynn by Wednesday, September 25 at 3:00. Students who do not wish to be sponsored can apply to the “direct pool” (deadline October 24th). Please view their website for more information and online application:
Scholarship: Horatio Alger Scholarship Programs
- Date Received: September 23, 2019
- Deadline: October 25, 2019
- Website: www.horatioalger.ca/en/scholarships/
Offers financial assistance to students in need who show integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity. Student must be involved in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. Student must be graduating in the spring/summer and attending a bachelor program next fall. Minimum average of 65% required. Online registration required.
Scholarship: Schulich Leader Scholarships
- Date Received: September 19, 2019
- Deadline: November 29, 2019 and January 29, 2020
- Website: www.schulichleaders.com
Student must be nominated; 1 nomination per school. For students enrolling in STEM programs at a partner university. Nominees must meet 2 of the 3 criteria: 1) Academic Excellence 2) Leadership 3) Financial Need. *Note: Nominees must not be planning a career as a medical practitioner. Application packages are available in Student Services or can be completed using the link below.
Scholarship: The Cover Guy
- Date Received: October 23, 2019
- Deadline: July 1, 2020
- Website: https://www.thecoverguy.com/en-ca/the-cover-guy-annual-scholarship/
- Student must be enrolled in a program at a university, college or trade school in Canada or the United States
- The applicant must submit an article consisting of 500-1000 words about his/her experience with hot tubs, backyard experiences, how hot tubs improve life, etc…
- See the website for more information:
Scholarship: Queen’s Chancellor’s Award
- Date Received: October 28, 2019
- Deadline: November 5, 2019
- Website: https://www.queensu.ca/studentawards/admission-awards/major-admission-awards
This is the date nomination forms are due in Student Services. BR can nominate a maximum of 2 students. See attached for nomination form or pick one up in Student Services beginning Oct. 29. Students must demonstrate considerable leadership experiences, meaningful volunteer work, and have an average of 90% or higher.
Application due – November 5, 2019
Scholarship: Burger King Scholar
- Date Received: October 31, 2019
- Deadline: December 15, 2019
- Website: https://bk-scholars.com/
- Have a strong academic record with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5.
- Must be active in the community: volunteering, sports, clubs, religious organizations
- Be a high school senior, BURGER KING® employee, spouse/domestic partner or child of an employee
Scholarship: Terry Fox Humanitarian Award
- Date Received: November 19, 2019
- Deadline: February 1, 2020
- Website: https://terryfoxawards.ca/applicant-information/
To be considered for the Award, applicants must meet be:
- In good academic standing.
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
- Students graduating from high school or students who have completed high school
- Involved in voluntary humanitarian activities (for which they have not been compensated).
- Planning to or are already studying towards their first university degree or diploma at a Canadian post-secondary institution
- Online application
- 3 referees needed
- Transcript required
- $28,000 over 4 years
Scholarship: Western National Scholarship Program
- Date Received: November 21, 2019
- Deadline 1: Tuesday January 7, 2020 – 3:00pm Nomination package due in Student Services
- Deadline 2: February 14, 2020 – Application Due
- Website: https://studentservices.uwo.ca/NationalScholarshipStudent/Students/NSIntroPage.cfm
- Student must be nominated and we can nominate up to 4 individuals. Nomination packages are available in Student Services. Please see Mrs. Pietrobon-Flynn if you are applying to be nominated.
- 90% minimum overall average on Gr. 12 U/M courses.
- “National Scholarships are designed to recognize all-round excellence. They are awarded on the basis of outstanding academic performance to candidates who demonstrate ability for creative and innovative thought and a passion for the pursuit of learning. National Scholarships also recognize exceptional achievement in extracurricular activities such as the arts and athletics. A special emphasis is placed on a candidate’s commitment to community service through ongoing contributions to school and community life.”
- Note that there is an extensive application package for these awards. As part of the package, students are required to write a 1000-1250 word research essay.
Scholarship: RBC Indigenous Student Awards Program
- Date Received: January 10th, 2020
- Deadline: February 28th, 2020
- Website: www.GoToApply.ca/RBC
- Selection based on personal and academic achievement and financial need
- Open to: Status Indians, Non-status Indians, Inuit and Metis students
- Up to $4,000 per academic year for 2-4 years